This site now also permits a simple, initial, ready-made search of the following sites:
• The 1901 census
• The 1911 census
• Indexes to Registers of Births Deaths and Marriages
• Griffith's Valuation
• The Tithe Applotment Books
• The National Archives of Ireland Collection of Soldiers' Wills
• The records of the Bureau of Military History
• The online catalogue of the National Library of Ireland
• The US immigration records of Ellisisland.org
• The US immigration records of CastleGarden.org
• The Ireland-Australia Transportation database
• The records in National Archives of Ireland collection "Women in 20th-century Ireland – 1922-1966: sources from the Department of the Taoiseach database"
• The records of the Royal Irish Academy's Digital Humanities Observatory
Entering a forename ("John"), surname ("Murphy") and location ("Cork") in the initial search pages and clicking "Search" will take you to a page with links to the above resources that include the information you have entered. So, for example, clicking on "Search 1901 census" on the results page will open a new window or tab showing all John Murphys recorded in Co. Cork in the 1901 census.
The various sites you will be taken to all operate in their own ways. In particular, most do not search on surname variants: a list of these is provided near the top of the page to remind you that it may be necessary to search again on the external site itself.
In other words, these initial results will vary from site to site. The ready-made searches are included in order to point out what other resources are available and to help you take the first step in using them.